Side By Side(Part 2)

>> Thursday, September 10, 2009

I won‘t forget the huge dose of hopefulness that I got when attending a presidential rally in Cincinnati, Ohio on the weekend before the general election last fall. As I stood in the long line that had formed at the gate of the arena where the event was held I was met by a fired up group of young campaign workers. They welcomed me to the event and shared that they were fired up for their candidate.They asked if I wanted to share my email address with them so that I could get personal updates from the campaign as the election progressed. They looked tired, and several shared that they had been working all day in support of the event.Others said that they had traveled a long distance just so they could labor the ten to twelve hours of the event. Yet through it all what was striking was that each and every one of those young people were alive with passion, excitement and hope. I talked to as many of these kids as I could. I asked them why they were there and what they hoped to get from the experience. Almost all of them stated that they were there because they were driven by a conviction that change was possible.

There were elections this summer in Iran. It appears the results were warped by the ruling regime that through its actions nullified the will of the people and gave the election to the incumbent. The people reacted strongly and took to the streets to register their protests. The government did what most governments do when confronted with the exertion of will on the part of the people. They recoiled in fear and let loose the police to threaten, harass, beat and even kill the protestors. Among the protestors, most of whom were young people, was a young woman named Neda. It was reported that she never considered herself an activist but took to the streets on the fateful day she lost her life because she was compelled to add her voice to those who were standing up for the ideal of justice and free democratic elections. She stood up and she showed up. She understood that she could make a difference and contributed her part to making her country and the world a better place. Though she lost her life she reminded a jaded world that young people are prepared now to lead and hold us all accountable to our ideals.

How does all of this signal a better world is possible and that young people possess a window into that world? Well, I think in these instances and in so many others young people are asserting an uncanny faith. Faith not in the traditional sense and not in the traditional institutions but faith in the notion that working on behalf of freedom, social justice, fair elections a better environment and many other causes can result in change and can transform everything in its midst. And I must say with resounding affirmation I completely agree. I believe the work starts with self and migrates out from there. I believe the work requires sacrifice and perseverance. And I believe this generation is up for the challenge! That’s why I am dedicating this blog site and my work at Side By Side to young people here and around the world who want to make this world a better place.

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Joy by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP